How to extend your study permit


All information provided are directly from IRCC
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

If you want to stay in Canada but you are no longer studying

You have a few options:


Study permit (including extensions): $150

Restore your status: $350

Processing time ?

 Online: 36 days

When to extend your study permit

The expiry date on your study permit tells when you have to stop studying. This date could be the length of your:

  • program, plus 90 extra days
  • pre-requisite courses plus 90 extra days (if you were conditionally accepted by your school) or
  • passport minus 30 days, if your passport will expire before you can finish your studies.

The extra 90 days gives you time to prepare to leave Canada or to apply to extend your status in Canada.

You need to extend your study permit at least 30 days before it expires. The expiry date is in the top right corner of your permit. You can’t extend your study permit beyond the expiry date on your passport.

If you apply before your permit expires, you can stay in Canada under the same conditions as your current study permit until you get a decision.

You should apply to extend your study permit if you plan to travel outside Canada and your permit will expire while you are travelling.

If your study permit expires, and you haven’t applied for an extension, you must leave Canada.

If you will finish your studies earlier than you expected

Your permit will expire 90 days after the day you complete your studies, no matter what the expiry date on the permit is. The 90 days begin:

  • on the date you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) that you completed your program or
  • when you get your degree, diploma or certificate.

If you can’t prove the date you were first notified by your school, we will use the earliest issue date on the document. We may need to confirm this date with your school.

If you want to keep studying, you must apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before your permit expires.

If you will finish your studies later than you expected

You must apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before the original expiry date.

What to do if your permit has expired

You have lost your status if you are still in Canada and:

  • the expiry date of your permit passed before you had applied for
    • a new study permit
    • a work permit, or
    • to stay in Canada as a visitor
  • you didn’t respect the conditions of your permit.

In some cases, you may apply to restore your status as a student. To apply, you must:

  • submit your application within 90 days of losing your status
  • keep meeting the requirements for your stay
  • have met all the conditions listed on your permit, and
  • pay your fees
    • restoration ($200) and
    • study permit ($150)

How to apply

Applying online from inside Canada

In most cases you must apply online to get or extend a study permit from inside Canada. When you apply online, we get your application instantly, which can help us process your application faster. If you already applied on paper, you don’t have to resubmit your application online.

Before you apply to extend your study permit, make sure your school is on the designated learning institution list(DLI).

If your school is no longer on the DLI list, you can keep studying until your current permit expires. When you need to extend your study permit, you’ll need to enroll at a DLI.

If your visitor visa has expired, and you need or want to leave and return to Canada, you also need to apply for a new visitor visa (not a visitor record).

Processing time

 36 days

Processing time is the average for how long it takes from when an application is received to when we make a decision. Learn more about processing times.

How to apply to extend your study permit

In most cases, you must apply online to extend your study permit.

How applying online helps you

  • No courier fees or mail delivery time – we get your application instantly.
  • Your applications may be processed more quickly.
  • It helps you make sure your application is complete before you submit it.
  • You can quickly submit more documents online (if we ask you to).
  • You get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.

Step 1: Make sure you have what you need

To apply online, you’ll need:

  • a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents, and
  • a valid credit or debit card.

Step 2: Read the instruction guide

Even if you apply online, you should read the instruction guide before you complete your application. The guide will explain how to complete each field on the form.

Step 3: Prepare your answers for the online tool

Before you can upload your forms, you must answer some questions. We use your answers to create a personalized document checklist for you.

Step 4: Know the fees you have to pay

In most cases, your fees will include processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application.

We’ll ask you to pay your fees at the end of your application.

Step 5: Create your online account or sign in

You need an account to apply online. You can use your account to:

  • pay your fees
  • submit your application
  • check your status

Create an account or sign in

If you can’t apply online

You can submit a paper application if either:

  • you can’t apply online because of a disability
  • there’s a problem with the online application

What to do if you can’t apply online

If your study permit already expired

You need to restore your status as a student when you extend your study permit. On the application form, select both:

  • An initial study permit or extension of study permit, and
  • Restoration of temporary resident status as a student

Explain how you lost your status and why you stayed in Canada longer than allowed. There’s no guarantee that we’ll accept your application. You can stay in Canada while we process your applications. You can’t study until we’ve restored your student status.

If your spouse, common-law partner or dependent children came with you to Canada, they may also need to restore their status.

Date modified: 2019-06-26 by IRCC
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

See more visa blogs


Copyright & Disclaimer

The information on this site is for information purposes only. Canada International Student Magazine (CISM) assumes no liability or responsibility for any inaccurate, delayed or incomplete information, nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. The information contained about each individual, event or organization has been provided by such individual, event organizers or organization, or third parties without verification by us.

Any form of reproduction of any content on this website without the written permission of the publisher, is strictly prohibited. CISM is operated by Alvis Tsui(FSS) INC. a trademarked company; all rights reserved.