How can I extend my stay as a worker in Canada?


All information provided are directly from IRCC
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

You should apply at least 30 days before your current status expires if you want to extend your stay as a worker in Canada.

For more information, see the page Extending your work permit.

Your employer may need to apply for a new Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which is a document from Employment and Social Development Canada that says the employer is allowed to hire you. For more information, see the page Extend worker’s permit – Hire temporary workers.

If you are exempt from the LMIA process, your employer will need to pay the employer compliance fee and submit a new offer of employment through the Employer Portal.

Temporary residents currently in Canada with a valid study or work permit must submit their application for a new visa to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa (CPC-O), or visa office that serves their country of nationality.

  • If your work permit expires after you have submitted your application for an extension but before you receive a decision on your application, you can stay in Canada under what is called implied status. That means the law implies you are a temporary resident. That status lasts until we decide on your new permit application. However, you must respect the following requirements:
    • If you applied for another work permit:
      • You must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original work permit. If you applied for a work permit extension before your work permit expired, you can keep working under the same conditions as your existing permit until we decide on your application.
    • If you applied for a different kind of permit:
      • You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.
  • If you have applied to extend your work permit and plan on traveling outside Canada while your application is in process, you can leave Canada and come back. However, one of three things will happen when you return to Canada:
    • You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a visitor, if Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has not yet decided to extend your work permit. If this is the case, you cannot work until you get your work permit extension. The officer at the port of entry may ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
    • You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a worker, if the officer at the port of entry finds out that we extended your work permit while you were away.
    • You may be asked to apply for a new work permit at the port of entry.

Note: It is possible that you will not be able to enter Canada. The final decision is made at the border by the border services officer.

Date modified: 2019-03-11 by IRCC
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

See more visa blogs

Copyright & Disclaimer

The information on this site is for information purposes only. Canada International Student Magazine Inc (CISM) assumes no liability or responsibility for any inaccurate, delayed or incomplete information, nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. The information contained about each individual, event or organization has been provided by such individual, event organizers or organization, or third parties without verification by us.

Any form of reproduction of any content on this website without the written permission of the publisher, is strictly prohibited. CISM is operated by Canada International Student Magazine Inc. a trademarked company; all rights reserved.