If you want to work as a server in British Columbia, no matter what your status in Canada is, you need to complete the Serving It Right course (**applicable only if the workplace serves liquors, such as restaurants). Some restaurants may require applicants to have the completion of Serving It Right for applying to work as servers. If you are thinking of working as a server in BC, the following step-by-step tips may give you more ideas on what you need to do!
Serving It Right is British Columbia’s responsible liquor sales and service program for industry workers, that everyone involved in the sale and service of liquor has to take. It is designed to help make sure that the service and sale of liquor is done according to law and in a way that keeps customers, guests and others safe from alcohol-related harms. Other provinces have similar responsible liquor service programs.
The course provides effective techniques to prevent problems related to the service of liquor and covers topics such as:
- Signs of intoxication
- Legal liability
- Reducing alcohol over-consumption
- Reducing impaired driving
- Minimizing the risk of violence
- Preventing the sale of alcohol to a minor
- Duty of care on and off-premises
- The necessity to create and enforce responsible beverage service policies
- Language: English
- Mobile-Friendly: Yes (If you are using your smartphone – please ensure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network; Turn-on browser pop-ups; It is recommended to take the training program on a desktop/laptop computer. The program is responsive and will work on a tablet or smartphone but you may find the screen size to be small and hard to interact with some of the training elements)
- Technical Requirements: A reliable internet connection
Please be sure that you have reviewed all of the course materials to prepare for your exam. You must receive 80% on the final exam in order to receive your certificate. This means answering 28 (or more) of the 35 questions correctly. The Serving It Right exam is a multiple-choice exam. The questions are randomly generated, and therefore, each exam will be different. The exam is not timed and you can log out of your exam and continue at a later time.
Once you have successfully completed the exam you will receive your SIR certificate number immediately and have the option of printing your certificate. You can view and print your certificate at any time. The cost of the online exam is $35. Your purchase includes 3 attempts for the final exam. If you don’t pass the exam after your 3rd try, you can retake the exam for the price of $35.
After a full meal, how much time can alcohol take to reach the brain?
- 1 – 2 hours
- 3 – 4 hours
- Up to 6 hours
- Up to 8 hours
Serving It Right is a mandatory exam for future servers and liquor store workers in British Columbia. Serving is a great part-time job for students, many shifts occur on the weekend or in the evenings when students don’t have classes. If you’re considering taking Serving It right, make sure you prepare as best as you can prior to the exam using these tips.