University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) is committed to turning the school into a place for students to grow and achieve their goals. In 2021, UNBC has named the first Primarily Undergraduate University by Maclean’s Magazine, the third time in seven years.
UNBC was founded in 1990 and is located in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada. It is a comprehensive public university in Canada and was visited by Queen Elizabeth II once. Furthermore, UNBC is a leader in the research field and has received over 190 million Canadian dollars in research funding. UNBC has done much-related research and teaching activities in Forest and Ecology department. They also were recognized at first place in internationally recognized North American sustainable development projects with Harvard University.
- They rank among the top 5% of global post-secondary institutions in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings
- They were ranked the first among all Primarily Undergraduate Universities in Canada’s basic by Maclean’s magazine in the years of 2016, 2017, and 2021
- It has consistently scored high in student scholarships, teacher-student ratio, and student mental health services.
- UNBC has attracted a group of outstanding teachers and scientific research, providing them with sufficient budget and high-tech facilities
- Student-centered and small-class teaching approach is adopted to ensure the quality of teaching and student experience
- Approximately one-quarter of the students received UNBC scholarships
UNBC is famous for its teaching, research, energy programs and sustainability.The majors below are all popular majors at UNBC
- Natural Resources Management
- Environmental Engineeringat (UNBC / UBC Environmental Engineering)
- Natural Resources Planning
- UNBC’s paid internship program provides students with 12-20 months of paid work opportunities. After participating in the paid internship program, it is easier for students to find a job after graduation. They did a survey in 2003, and it showed that UNBC had the highest graduate employment rate, the highest average income, and the highest degree of satisfaction during undergraduate studies among all universities in BC
- UNBC is located in Prince George, as the fourth largest city in British Columbia, Canada. The main campus of UNBC University is located in a beautiful natural landscape, with modern teaching facilities and dormitories that can accommodate about 600 students
- The campus is only 15 minutes away from the city center
- UPP is designed for international students to meet the UNBC’s English requirements. It is a full-time 8-month university course curriculum while earning 18 university credits.
- The IUPP course allows students to experience the first-year undergraduate courses of UNBC extensively and stimulate their academic aspirations. Their courses cover liberal arts, sciences, business, engineering, and computer science, covering about 57 undergraduate majors.
- After completing the course, students will receive 18 credits (equivalent to 6 university credits for undergraduate courses)
- If students need to transfer to other universities, they only need to take 3 UNBC courses after completing the IUPP course and submit an application to transfer to any public university or college in the BC transfer credit system.