St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a private school for Kindergarten to grade-12 students. Students can choose to live in the school’s dormitory or their homes. It is a non-profit school and one of the best private schools in Canada. SMUS is located in the city centre of the Salish Sea in Victoria, British Columbia. St. Michaels University School is not only known for its inspiring and innovative program but also for the extraordinary opportunities provided for students in Sports, Arts, Leadership, Social Service and Outdoor Education.
An Overview of St. Michaels University School (SMUS)
- Founded in 1906
- 1,035 students, including 212 elementary school students, 210 junior high school students, and 613 high school students
- 258 students live on campus
- Small-class teaching approach, with an average class size of 17 students
- Students coming from over 49 countries and regions
- The teacher-student ratio is 1:6
- 20% of students get support from financial aid and staff grants
- $2.8 million in financial aid and staff grants
Junior School (K- Grade 5)
- Employs Reggio Emilia’s Reggio Emilia Approach
- Promotes a delightful learning experience in a safe and welcoming Oak Bay neighbourhood
- Multi-disciplinary professional teachers including French, Choir, Strings Music, Visual Arts and Outdoor Education
- Fun and comprehensive extracurricular activities and club activities provide students with more opportunities
- Adequate academic and social support to ensure student success
Some facts about Reggio Emilia Approach
Reggio Emilia Approach is an educational philosophy that advocates a student-centred and constructivist pedagogy for pre-school and primary students. It allows children to learn in a self-directed and experiential environment while exploring and discovering based on the principles of respect, responsibility and community.
Middle School (Grade 6-8)
- An inquiry and project-based approach to learning that connects lessons to real-world scenarios
- Extensive and enriching curriculum with opportunities to engage in Music, Physical Education Visual Arts and core subjects.
- Shared area with the high school for cross-school connections
- Emphasis on developing personal skills, such as independence
- A small community that provides students with connections to adults
Senior School (Grade 9 – 12)
- Recognized as one of the leading Canadian primary and secondary programs
- Variety of extracurricular and co-curricular opportunities in Arts, Athletics, Leadership, Service and Outdoor Education that enable students to adjust their curriculum to prepare them for future aspirations
- Located on a beautiful campus in Victoria, British Columbia, a historic school that could date back to 1906
- Over 65 school clubs, steering committees and 25 sports teams
- Comprehensive support of academic and personal support, including university advising
- The dormitory is located on a quiet and safe campus
- A private bathroom and shower and is designed for two students in each room
- There are 6-8 parents in each dorm to take care of the students
- Weekend activities include trips to other cities, games, social outings and tours of the nature
Advanced Placement Program(AP)
- St. Michaels University School also offers AP Prep courses, the oldest pre-university course in Canada
- 25 AP courses are offered, including the prestigious AP Capstone course.
- AP scores have been improving every year
- 2021 AP exam results:
- 457 students took AP exams
- 89 students receive AP Scholar awards
- 95% of students scored 3, 4 or 5
- 43% of students scored 5
St. Michaels University School has a developed and professional university advising department. They have experienced teachers to provide further education guidance and every student has an academic advisor to help them make academic choices based on their plans and interests. In 2021, their graduates received a total of 695 offers and a total scholarship amount of $3,891,746.
Arts education is a priority at St. Michaels University School, and courses are offered for all students. They also have professional art teachers at all levels in the fields of Strings, Choir, Bands, Visual Arts and Design, Drama and Musicals. In addition, there are different arts facilities provided for students, including dedicated visual arts and music rooms.
The school has 13 competitive sports teams, including Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Rowing, Rugby, Sailing, Soccer, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field and Volleyball. Furthermore, the school offers dancing and yoga classes. With a variety of athletic facilities including a full-size field, gymnasium, fitness center and rowing center on the 3.5-kilometre course, students can enjoy sports at school.
- All school-aged for primary and secondary school
- Transcripts of previous coursework required