Langley has become a choice destination for international students. The rustic community has attracted many students from around the world, providing them with innovative ways to learn and change the future.
Langley is located in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, about 45km southeast of Vancouver. The school district that makes Langley its home is School District 35 (SD35) and provides educational services to Langley City, the Township of Langley, and to the Matsqui, Kwantlen, Semiahmoo, and Katzie First Nations.
At SD35, there are a total of 40 schools, providing a variety of programs. There are about 23,000 students enrolled in a Langley school, and there are about 3,000 staff members, including teachers and administrators.
The district can be summarised by their philosophies:
- Vision – SD35 intends to be an innovative and unified community that fosters lifelong passion, inclusive culture, and flexible environments.
- Mission – SD35 purpose is to inspire learners to reach their full potential and make the future brighter.
- Values – At SD35, their core values boil down to four principles: integrity, excellence, courage, and community.
Why Choose SD35
In addition to their philosophies stated above, SD35 has many reasons why it is an excellent choice to spend your pre-university student career in. Even though the community of Langley is large, everyone is tight-knit. It makes for a safe environment for younger students who are still learning what Canadian life is like.
It’s also the ideal community if you’re not a fan of large crowds and busy areas. Langley, although slowly growing, is a quiet area that is relatively rural to the city of Vancouver. Surrounded by mountains and fields, it’s a great place to get close to nature without being too far from city centres.
International Education at SD35
You can expect quality education from SD35 because they promise to keep improving their education system, keep being responsive to student needs, and to keep providing a safe and healthy environment for international students. To SD35, it’s not just about teaching international students about Canada or to teach them English, but it’s also about turning them into global citizens. That means teaching young minds how they can contribute to the world with its best interest at heart.
Other Special Features of SD35
- Instructional Services – This is a community of teachers of SD35 that is committed to supporting quality learning at the district. They are essentially the most entrusted teachers in their field, and their specialities include the basic subjects and English learning.
- Career Education – Both students and their parents are welcome to check out this program. As SD35 desires to see people thrive and be the best version of themselves, the district has provided programs for anyone wanting to explore the skills and strengths further.
- Learning Support Services – Some students learn differently or at different paces. That’s why SD35 has a great learning support program for those with special needs.
This is only a glimpse of what SD35 has to offer its students. Feel free to look at SD35’s website and explore more about what they have in store.
Regardless of being a secondary student or elementary student, the program fees will be the same. The application fee and the program fee will come to a total of $15,700CAD for every school year. If you or your child decide not to pursue the program and require a refund, there will be a $500 processing fee.
Additional fees include a custodian fee ($100CAD), a homestay placement fee ($350CAD), and an airport pick-up fee ($175CAD). These are non-refundable fees and come to a total of $625CAD.
Homestay fees are their own separate entity. Expect to pay about $950 every month. The price may vary depending on which homestay agency you choose to partner with.
SD35 makes the application process as smooth and easy as possible. There are three main things you have to do.
- Apply for a student visa
- Fill in and submit SD35’s International Student Agreement(s)
- Apply on SD35’s Portal
Although these are not in a particular order, they are what you need to complete in order for your application to be considered.
While the intake for the fall of September 2022 is already closed, now is your chance to prepare for September 2023. Getting student permits approved takes some time so if you have your eye on SD35, apply for the student permit as soon as possible!
Sources: International Students Langley