Elementary Programs in Langley
We’ve all heard about international students attending high schools and post-secondary institutions in Canada, but have you ever wondered what an elementary school is like for students studying abroad? Currently, the Langley School District accepts a limited number of international students (typically between the ages of 5 and 12 into their elementary programs. These students study in 21 of the district’s 35 elementary schools.
Education & English-Language Training
- The elementary program currently promotes international topics of education and focuses on building a solid foundation of cultural understanding for students
- The program’s teachers offer support and guidance for students who are adjusting to life in Canada
- Students are placed in classrooms with Canadian students from the first day of school so they can be integrated into the school environment
- Those who are not yet fluent in English will be tested upon arrival
- Students will work with a District International teacher alongside their regular classroom teacher as a form of in-class language support
- The District International teacher will help bridge the language barrier and become cultural mentors to the student as they help them with homework and assignments
- Support is flexible and caters to the individual needs of students
Some Langley Elementary Schools That Are Currently Accepting:
Alex Hope Elementary
- About: Over 560 students currently attending; run special programs that emphasize the performing arts (music, dance, drama, etc.)
- Location: 21150 85 Ave, Langley, BC V1M 2M4
- About: Bilingual/French Immersion school with both English- and French-speaking students
- Location: 20390 40 Ave, Langley, BC V3A 2X1
Dorothy Peacock Elementary School
- About: An inclusive kindergarten to grade 7, with a school mission of “working together as a community, encouraging caring, responsibility, and a love of learning that will last a lifetime.”
- Location: 20292 91a Ave, Langley, BC V1M 2G2
Fort Langley Elementary
- About: Located in the heart of historic Fort Langley; 330 students with a unique program for students in kindergarten up to Grade 4
- Location: 8877 Bartlett St, Langley, BC V1M 2S6
- About: In operation for over 100 years – first opened in 1916; just under 200 students between kindergarten and Grade 7
- Location: 20785 24 Ave, Langley, BC V2Z 2B4
Gordon Greenwood Elementary School
- About: First opened on April 14, 1992. This location was originally a farm site owned by Maxine Michaud. The school was named after Gordon Greenwood, a resident of the Wallgrove area.
- Location: 9175 206 St, Langley, BC V1M 2X2
James Hill Elementary
- About: Located in an attractive residential area bound by a green belt to the south and a large playing field/open park; home to around 300 students between kindergarten and Grade 5
- Location: 22144 Old Yale Rd, Langley, BC V2Z 1B5
James Kennedy Elementary School
- About: An English/French Immersion school in Walnut Grove with a family-oriented community
- Location: 9060 212 St, Langley, BC V1M 2B7
Topham Elementary School
- About: Currently enrolls approximately 350 students in 14 divisions ranging from kindergarten to grade 7. School community holds a variety of economic, social, and cultural backgrounds
- Location: 21555 91 Ave, Langley, BC V1M 3Z3
West Langley Elementary School
- About: A cooperative community that encourages knowledge, self-worth, adaptability, mutual respect, global understanding, and understanding of lifelong learning.
- Location: 9403 212 St, Langley, BC V1M 1M1
Noel Booth Elementary School
Start & End Date
Because the school year in British Columbia starts in September, the program will also begin at the same time; it will conclude at the end of June. Students also can join in January, but spaces will be more limited during the application process.
Application & Fees
International students applying to the Elementary Program undergo the same application process and pay the same fees as Canadian students.
Please check here for the admission process and the complete breakdown of fees.