What is the Academic Transition Program?
The Academic Transition Program, or ATP for short, makes the Greater Victoria School District unique. This is Victoria International Education’s (VIE) innovative academic program that sets out to help international students transition into the Canadian public school system, the Vancouver Island environment and high school graduation. The program’s courses are designed to assist students in their learning and understanding of the English language while building a solid foundation so they can enter colleges, universities and other post-secondary programs.
Because the ATP helps international students with their English studies, students will be able to work on developing and honing their English skills before fully integrating into high school and the BC education system. The School District and VIE have found that students who enroll in ATP and then transition into regular high schools are much more successful in their academic studies and life than students who enroll directly into Canadian high schools from overseas.
The Benefits of Enrolling in ATP
- The program’s core focus is preparing students for success in high school.
- All teachers are government-certified professionals and are experts in their subject area.
- Classroom instruction is based on the B.C. curriculum and the prescribed learning outcomes for each curriculum area.
- Students receive instructions on developmental English, mathematics, physical education and intercultural studies.
- Each subject supports students who are learning English as a second language.
- Small class sizes enable additional learning support for English Language Learning classes.
- The program includes various co-curricular and extracurricular activities both in and around Victoria; students can participate in activities, such as trips to the world-famous Butchart Gardens, the local bowling center, day trips, etc.
- Each instructional day includes a study-hall session as a part of their program of study.
- Students are expected to partake in transitional activities, connecting students to their next high school.
- Students are eligible for BC Graduation Program credits when they have completed ATP and will be guaranteed entrance into the Greater Victoria School District.
- Students can enter ATP any time within six weeks of the start date.
ATP’s Extracurricular Activities
As part of the program, students will participate in several educational and fun extracurricular activities related to their classroom learning, the local environment and Canadian culture. These activities include:
- University information sessions
- University application workshops
- Language development seminars for IELTS and CAEL
- Volunteer Victoria Seminar
- Royal BC Museum
- Vancouver city trip
- Vancouver Canucks hockey game
- Highlanders soccer game
Who is eligible for the program?
Students currently in Grades 9, 10 and 11 are eligible to apply for the program. The program runs three times per year and lasts five months each. Below are the months during which the program takes place:
- September – January
- February – June
- April – August
Credits include 16 Grade 10 or Grade 11 credits, depending on the age of the student.
- Program 10
- Math 10 or 11
- Physical Education 10 or 11
- English Language Learning (ELL) 10 or 11
The program fee for the 2022/2023 school year is approximately CAD 15,050. This fee includes the Transfer Fee, which is for arrival to and departure from Victoria International Airport. Special diet fees can be paid for students with allergies or dietary concerns. See here for more details.