Located on the east side of Metro Vancouver, the Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows School District (SD42) is a public school district serving the communities of Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows and providing education to over 15,000 students across 25 elementary schools, 6 secondary schools and 1 alternate school.
SD42 is committed to providing high-quality education that meets the needs of all students. The district offers a variety of programs and services to support students with diverse needs, including special education, English language learners, and gifted learners. SD42 is dedicated to fostering a safe and inclusive learning environment that promotes respect and acceptance for all.
The Pre-Academic Summer Program
The Pre-Academic Summer program, hosted by the Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows School District, is a three-week summer program filled with active learning and endless fun in the sun. This program is dedicated to students entering grades 8 to 12, where the program focuses on preparing students for their studies in Canada while simultaneously showing them the best of Canadian culture.
The program emphasizes the following categories:
- Group work
- Speaking and enhancing English abilities
- Canadian culture
Program Dates and Sample Schedule
This year, the program is expected to start in the second week of August. More information on dates and times can be requested from the International Education office.
While students will have a set schedule for the week, they will also participate in various activities. Here is a sample schedule of what a Monday to Sunday week might look like:
|Monday||AM – Class||PM – Class|
|Tuesday||AM – Excursion||PM – Excursion|
|Wednesday||AM – Class||PM – Class|
|Thursday||AM – Excursion||PM – Excursion|
|Friday||AM – Class||PM – Class|
|Saturday||Time with Host Family||Time with Host Family|
|Sunday||Time with Host Family||Time with Host Family|
Summer Program Fees
The 2023 program fee is $3450 CAD and covers homestay, medical insurance, classes and activities.
- Currently, the program accepts students that are at least 13 years of age
- Consider applying early as space is limited
- Applications and payment must be received at least 6 weeks before the program begins
*Applicants should also note whether they are applying as an Academic Student or if they are only applying for the Pre-Academic Program (with no long-term studies in Maple Ridge):
- If you are joining the Pre-Academic Summer Program before your academic studies start in September, please indicate YES to the following question in the Academic application: Attending Pre-Academic Program
- If you would like to attend only the Pre-Academic Program and are not studying long-term in the Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows International Program, please contact the International Education Office
Why choose the Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows School District?
- The School District has been welcoming international students in elementary school, middle school and high school for more than 20 years
- Partnered with EduCanada, World School and BC Council for International Education, the school district offers both a superior educational system and an authentic Canadian experience for international students
- Maple Ridge is a safe, welcoming and peaceful place to study
- Strong ESL and International Liaison support from district members and school staff
- Plenty of course options (arts, music, science, athletics, etc.) and program and/or extracurricular options (IB, leadership, clubs, academies, etc.)
- District-managed Homestay Program with in-school homestay coordinator
Sources: Pre-Academic Summer Program