About the Vancouver Community College (VCC)
Vancouver Community College, commonly referred to as VCC by students and locals, is a public post-secondary institution located in Vancouver, Canada. Established in 1965, it has grown to become one of the largest and most diverse public colleges in British Columbia.
VCC offers a wide range of certificates and diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, and career-oriented programs. It has five campuses located in the downtown core, the west side, and the east side of Vancouver. VCC is known for its smaller class sizes, diverse student body, and comprehensive support services. VCC also supports distance education and offers several online courses.
VCC’s New Baking and Pastry Arts Dual Certificate
VCC offers a unique dual-certificate program for those looking to pursue a career in the baking and pastry arts. The program combines practical and theoretical studies to provide students with the skills they need to succeed in the baking and pastry industry.
The program consists of two certificates: the Certificate in Baking and the Certificate in Pastry Arts. Each certificate is designed to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the fundamentals of baking and pastry making. Students will learn about the science of baking and pastry, as well as the techniques used in producing quality baked goods. In addition, students will gain an understanding of the business aspects of the industry, such as marketing, pricing, and customer service.
For example, students will be able to experiment with making lots of different kinds of dishes/foods, including:
- Biscuits and muffins
- Cookies, pies, tarts
- Cakes, cookies, sponges
- Croissant, Danish and puff dough lamination
- Buttercreams, glazes, ganaches
- Pastries, slices and squares
- Meat and vegetable pies
- Sausage rolls, Cornish pasties, calzones
- Asian buns and tarts
- Pita bread and flatbreads
- …and more!
In addition to cooking and baking delicious foods, students’ learning experiences will include:
- Health, sanitation and safety
- Knife skills
- Theoretical baking principles and processes
- Aeration and emulsification
- Composition, use of colours and textures
- Shaping and molding
- Environmental conditions
- Standard math functions
- Retail bakeshop management
- Daily production planning
- Merchandising, inventory and cost control
- …and more
What to expect
The program combines hands-on learning with lectures and demonstrations, as well as workshops and group activities. Students will also have the chance to take part in field trips to local bakeries to gain first-hand experience. Upon completion of the program, students will be able to create beautiful and delicious baked goods, as well as manage a bakery or pastry shop.
The program is ideal for those who are passionate about baking and pastry but also want to gain a solid understanding of the business side of the industry. Students who complete the program will have a competitive edge when it comes to job applications, and they will be well-prepared to pursue a career in baking and pastry. With VCC’s Baking and Pastry Dual Certificates, students will have the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in the culinary world.
|Length of program||2 years|
|Program flyer||See here|
|Campus||Downtown Vancouver (250 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 1S9)|
|Start Dates||February, May and September|
VCC requires students to fulfill both program-specific and general requirements before they are admitted into the program.
- Successful completion of Grade 10 or higher (note that this program is Canadian Language Benchmarked at Listening, Speaking, Reading 7 and Writing 6); TOEFL: 68; or IELTS: Overall 5.5, with no band less than 5.0
- Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 10 or higher
- BC Foodsafe Certificate Level 1
For students applying to the Combined Skills with ESL support program, the admission requirements are:
- Successful completion of Grade 10 or equivalent in the country of origin
- Successful completion of a Math course at Grade 10 or equivalent level
- Proof of completion of VCC Lower Intermediate English or equivalent, which includes a Canadian Language Benchmark of Listening, Speaking, Reading 5 and Writing 4; TOEFL: 45; or IELTS: overall 4.5, with no band less than 4.0
- BC Foodsafe Certificate Level 1
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International – English Requirements.
With food being an incredibly important part of our lives, there are plenty of options for those who graduate with VCC’s Baking and Pastry Dual Certificate. Graduates can work in restaurants, cafes, and bakeries, or join larger industries like the food and beverage industry, the agricultural industry, and so on. Some may even start their businesses, like a food delivery app! Also, bakers are one of the skilled occupations categorized as TEER 3. Please check the Canadian government website for more details about TEER or eligibility criteria for Express Entry.
Examples of possible careers and salaries include:
- Chef (eg. executive, sous, line, station, pastry, etc.) – $40,255 – $103,342 per year
- Recipe developer – $62,361 per year
- Nutrition coach – $44,006 per year
- Food writer – $63,608 per year
- Food technologist – $60,545 per year
- Food stylist – $56,100 per year
- Culinary specialist – $45,198 per year
- Caterer – $48,430 per year
- Restaurant manager – $52,826 per year
- Food safety specialist – $76,787 per year
*Please note that these salaries are Canadian averages and can depend on several factors such as education, location, experience, and performance. As a result, salaries vary greatly.
Sources: VCC International: Baking and Pastry Arts, 11 Jobs You Can Get With a Culinary Degree (Plus Salaries), Compare all Express Entry programs