Ad: University of Toronto

Our CISM editions:

more to come …

working part time while being an international student in 2023
Working Part-time while being an International Student in 2023
working part time while being an international student in 2023

Working Part-time while being an International Student in 2023

According to the government announcement on December 7, 2023, study permit holders meeting certain conditions will be allowed to continue working for more than 20 hours per week until April 30, 2024. Additionally, IRCC is considering to expand off-campus work hours for international students to 30 hours per week while class is in session. Please stay tuned for more updates.

Reference: Revised requirements to better protect international students

Last updated: December 7, 2023.

Update (December 11, 2023)

Why is studying in Canada highly encouraged?

Canada is highly regarded among international students as an excellent place to study. It boasts renowned universities and provides a distinctive student life. Choosing to pursue education in Canada serves as a notable route for those considering long-term settlement in the country.

Students must be able to financially support themselves

With that being said, although education in Canada is considered to be a great accomplishment who choose to do so, students, unfortunately, have to go through many forms of financial stress. Tuition isn’t the only thing students must worry about. There are of course other essentials that students must pay for, such as:

  • Textbooks
  • Study materials
  • Housing 
  • Groceries
  • Transportation
  • Personal expenses

Fortunately, international students studying at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada have the opportunity to work without the need for a separate work permit. As long as they are enrolled in a program of study that extends beyond six months and culminates in professional certification, they are eligible for employment.

Students are given the chance to work during school

International students are permitted to work part-time, up to a maximum of 20 hours per week, during the school term. However, during scheduled academic breaks such as reading weeks or summer holidays, they are allowed to work full-time, on the condition that they intend to resume full-time studies afterward. It is also worth noting that international students can hold multiple jobs while studying in Canada.

On-campus job opportunities are typically advertised through various channels. Commonly, they can be found on job boards, the university’s career center, the student union building, or at career fairs. For off-campus jobs, online platforms are the primary means of job hunting. Canada’s JobBank often features part-time positions suitable for international students, while popular websites like LinkedIn and Indeed are widely used by job seekers in Canada.

Some of the most renowned platforms include websites such as the following:

  • Talent Egg
  • Glassdoor
  • CareerBuilder
  • SimplyHired 
  • Eluta
  • Upwork

PGWP (Post Graduation Work Permit) Opportunities

Upon completing their program of study, international students may qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which enables them to work full-time in Canada. The duration varies depending on the length of the student’s program of study and can be valid for up to three years. The PGWP serves as a valuable opportunity for international students to gain additional work experience, which can hold many benefits for students:

  1. Aspiring to become a permanent resident
  2. Provides Canadian work experience
  3. Acquire expertise within their field
  4. Create contributions to the Canadian economy

Students need to obtain a work permit before their study permit expires because they need to do so to be eligible to reside and work in Canada once their program of study concludes.

Even if an international student’s program of study satisfies the required duration and certification criteria, there are still additional measures to undertake before they can commence working as a student in Canada.

Social Insurance Number (Sin) required

To begin with, individuals seeking employment as international students in Canada need to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Now, for those wondering, a sin card is a nine-digit identifier issued by Service Canada, which enables the government to track the following:

  • Work legally in Canada
  • Employment records
  • Open a bank account
  • Ensure proper income tax payments
  • Access certain public services
  • Monitor work hours

It is a requirement for anyone working in Canada, regardless of their citizenship status (Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or temporary resident). International students must also wait until the commencement of their program of study before becoming eligible for employment. If they arrive in Canada during the summer before their program begins, they must wait until their first class in September to start working. During this waiting period, they can utilize their time to search for accommodation, review their resumes (CVs), and consider how to effectively manage their workload, health, and part-time employment.

When it comes to resume updates, the career center at the University of Toronto recommends that international students, particularly those with limited work experience, emphasize their strengths, skills, and diverse experiences. That could include the following:

  • Paid and unpaid work 
  • Participation in extracurricular activities
  • Volunteering engagements
  • Emphasize their strengths
  • Talk about their skills

One more important thing to note is that personal details such as age, marital status, nationality, visa status, social insurance number, and photographs are not required and should be excluded from the resume.

Source: Studying in Canada in 2023? How to find part-time work as an international student, Government of Canada
Share This Post
Additonal Setting with CSS
Related Articles​
Please feel free to contact us about this article
Please note : We will generally reply to you within 2-3 business days. Please contact us at if you don't get any reply from CISM.

Copyright & Disclaimer

The information on this site is for information purposes only. Canada International Student Magazine Inc (CISM) assumes no liability or responsibility for any inaccurate, delayed or incomplete information, nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. The information contained about each individual, event or organization has been provided by such individual, event organizers or organization, or third parties without verification by us.

Any form of reproduction of any content on this website without the written permission of the publisher, is strictly prohibited. CISM is operated by Canada International Student Magazine Inc. a trademarked company; all rights reserved.

Contact to CISM

Please note : We will generally reply to you within 2-3 business days. Please contact us at if you don't get any reply from CISM.
subscribe to our newsletter​ icon

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Sign up to our CISM newsletter for International student and Immigration in Canada