International students are now able to travel to Canada if they have a valid study permit, or were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020. However, there are numerous new precautions in place for travelers heading to Canada in order to ensure COVID19 cases are not brought into Canada from other countries. Travel has limits presently – only 4 airports are accepting international travelers and all travelers must fill out the Federal ArriveCAN questionnaire, as well as a provincial questionnaire in the case of BC and Alberta. Further, self-isolation for 14 days is absolutely necessary.
Current Accessible Canadian Airports
Currently, international flights can land ONLY at Vancouver International Airport, Calgary International Airport, Toronto Pearson International Airport 和 Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport.(Except for some American/Central American flights). This came from an announcement by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
Further, all international travelers returning to Canada are required by law to self-isolate for 14 days. And all of them must complete the federal ArriveCAN application for approval prior to their return to Canada, or upon arrival. Some provinces require them to submit a provincial self-isolation plan along with the federal application.
Federal ArriveCAN Application
Travelers must download the Federal ArriveCAN app on their mobile phone and complete the form/questionnaire upon arrival in Canada. Note: the app is available in English, French and Spanish.
Download the ArriveCAN application here:
Further, here is a step by step of what the Federal ArriveCAN app will ask you to fill in. There will be two sections – one on your travel plans and a COVID19 self-assessment and quarantine plan.
- 1: Read and accept the privacy agreement.
- 2: Choose the transportation mode for how you will be entering Canada.
- 3: Add details concerning your flight including the date, airport, airline and flight number.
- 4: Add information about yourself as a traveler including your name, surname, and date of birth.
- 5: Add any additional travelers traveling with you.
- 6: Provide information on your destination including the type of destination, street address, city, postal code, date of arrival and date of departure. Also, add any additional destinations at this time.
- 7: Fill in your contact information including your phone number, email address, and language of choice.
- 8: Start completing the COVID19 self-assessment and quarantine plan questionnaire.
- 9: Answer yes or no to experiencing coughing, fever, or difficulty breathing.
- 10: Answer yes or no to having accommodation for self-isolation ver 14 days.
- 11: Answer yes or no to having vulnerable people in your self-isolation location.
- 12: Answer yes or no to the question concerning the nature of your accommodation, is it a group living environment?
- 13: Answer yes or no to will you have food and other necessities delivered to you during the quarantine.
- 14: Enter the token number available on-site at eligible Canadian airports.
Provincial Self-Isolation Plans
For those entering Vancouver, you will need to fill out a 公元前 self-isolation plan that can be submitted online before, or when you arrive back in BC, or can be submitted in a paper form when you arrive back in BC. It is recommended to complete and submit the form online before the trip. And, after travelers complete the form online, they will receive a confirmation number and they need to carry that number with them when they travel. Further, it is recommended to print out the self-isolation plan form to carry it with you while traveling.
These are the guidelines as of June 17th. However, this could change, so before traveling to Vancouver International Airport make sure you check both the airport website 和 provincial website for new mandatory travel questionnaires.
For people entering Ontario, there is currently no province-specific self-isolation plan to complete. Travelers only need to complete the Federal ArrriveCAN as of June 17th. However, this could change, so before traveling to Toronto Pearson International Airport make sure you check both the airport website 和 provincial website for new mandatory travel questionnaires.
If entering Alberta, travelers will need to complete a provincial isolation questionnaire to demonstrate they have appropriate plans and the necessary supports in place to isolate for 14 days. They will receive a provincial isolation questionnaire to fill out at a provincial checkpoint after clearing customs. They can also print it off in advance and bring it with them.
These are the guidelines as of June 17th. However, this could change, so before traveling to Calgary International Airport make sure you check both the airport website 和 provincial website for new mandatory travel questionnaires.
For people entering Quebec, there is currently no province-specific self-isolation plan to complete. Travelers only need to complete the Federal ArrriveCAN as of June 17th. However, this could change, so before traveling to Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport make sure you check both the airport website 和 provincial website for new mandatory travel questionnaires.
Presently, certain international travelers are able to enter Canada in Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. This includes international students with a valid study permit or who were eligible to get one before March 18th, 2020. However, there are a number of new forms and processes in light of COVID19 and it’s important to know them all before boarding your flight to Canada.